10 Ways I #YOLO
I’m hooked on the Joy the Baker podcast. Such a pleasant way to enjoy my commute at the end of the week! Last week’s episode discussed the concept of YOLO – You Only Live Once. Joy and Tracy – thank you for inspiring this post!
The good, bad, ugly, silly… so many things fall under the YOLO umbrella, and it got me thinking. Do I yolo?
The answer is yes!
1. A few years ago, I asked my hairdresser to chop my hair off. After saying farewell to the bun, I was ready to say ciao to the ponytail and go for a pixie cut before Ginnifer Goodwin made it the thing to do. I loved short hair! I’ve grown my hair out, but recently I’ve been wondering if it’s time to go back to a ‘do that is ponytail-free.
2. Yoga. It’s about being in the present moment. Breathing in, breathing out, moving, being still. Maybe yoga is like an endless yolo moment? Here is what I found by Googling “yoga yolo” – it’s a thing?!
5. Lipcolor is a great place to yolo. Pantone tangerine, interference purpley-pinkey-red like NYC Blue Rose ($1.99!), matte red Lady Danger. Go for it!!! Get your clear lipliner and try something surprising. Lipcolor is easier to change than a weird nail color.
6. I stayed up allll night: to paint my living room “Anonymous” grey, to watch the sunrise from my apartment roof, to wait for the next bus from Tarifa to Cadiz. So sometimes these aren’t the smartest ideas, but hey, they happened. There’s usually a good story or memory, and they were all related to yolo.
9. In addition to cookie butter testing, yolo has also been responsible for: ice cream for breakfast, cheesecake for breakfast, inhaling 1.5+ lbs of blueberries in one fell swoop, putting spinach and/or kale in a blender and turning smoothies green or weird brown, buying ground flax. I think these food consumption yolo decisions got progressively more healthy. Hooray!
Too bad the store was closed, so the Holy Crap remained behind glass.
10. My biggest yolo to date was moving from Seattle to New York City four years ago. I figured if not now, when? “Yolo” is what I was thinking and I didn’t even know it. This decision spurred high-intensity saving, major purging, and all kinds of moving rigamarole. It has been an outstanding learning experience, that’s for sure.
YOLO means YES. It can be big or small, a good or more questionable choice. You Only Live Once.
What makes you go YOLO? Do it.